Personal Member Upgrades
AIM Personal Member Grading Criteria
The following criteria are used by the Australian Institute of Management for assessing Personal Member upgrade applications. They may be useful in helping you decide which grade of Membership is applicable to you. Please note, the criteria outlined below are to be used as a guide only and you are free to indicate the Membership grade for which you would like to be considered.
Membership upgrade applications are reviewed by the Membership Grading Committee each quarter.
Please see below for the Membership upgrade application submission and review dates for 2012.
February review – Membership upgrade applications must be submitted by Friday 3 February 2012
May review – Membership upgrade applications must be submitted by Friday 4 May 2012
August review – Membership upgrade applications must be submitted by Friday 3 August 2012
November review – Membership upgrade applications must be submitted by Friday 2 November 2012
Associate Fellow AIM (AFAIM)
The grade of Associate Fellow is open to senior managers who have five or more years management experience managing other managers and professionals. At Associate Fellow level you tend to manage departments servicing the overall operations of the organisation, where delegation to several managers involved in specific but related functions is required.
As an Associate Fellow
- You would typically be a chief executive, general manager or senior functional manager who delegates authority to several other managers of at least Member level
- Your management responsibility would be such that you would have overall authority, probably at a “hands off” level, for functions within a clearly defined state, subsidiary, segment or division
- You would have five or more years experience in this or a former senior management role requiring the management of other managers
- If you have had less than five years senior management experience, you would have been at this level for at least three years and hold a recent post-graduate qualification such as an MBA, or four years senior management experience and hold other post graduate qualifications
The grade of Fellow is open to managers who have a record of proven management achievement of six or more years in a general executive management role, or as a general management consultant to persons at this level.
To qualify for this grade of membership you would typically be
- A chief executive/chief general manager in an organisation of such complexity as to require delegation of authority to several staff of at least Associate Fellow level
- In a very large and complex organisation you would be at the level of a division, business unit or group general manager delegating management authority to several staff at Associate Fellow Level
The required period of proven management achievement may be reduced by up to two (2) years, dependent on credits gained through holding approved educational qualifications appropriate to this level of management.
Practical management experience at some stage of your career is essential. In support of your application please provide details of the complexity of your role and the level of management to which you consult. If you are operating in a consulting capacity please provide documentation detailing the types of organisations you have consulted to and at what management level, plus the nature of advice given.
Gradings and grading criteria differ for all professional associations. A specific grading in another association does not necessarily warrant a similar grading in AIM, where criteria is focused on the management content of the job positions rather than technical knowledge and expertise in a variety of other disciplines.
The management skills and entrepreneurship displayed in initiating, establishing and developing a successful business, together with its level of recognition in the community as an industry leader will be assessed in accordance with the grading criteria.
If you are applying for a Senior grade you will be required to supply:
- A resume or brief job history for the past six years or more
- An organisation structure chart showing your position
- A completed Personal Membership Upgrade Application Form
For more information contact Member Services on 1300 727 396