A wealth of resources
The AIM Library provides Members with a specialised and up-to-date collection of management resources covering Leadership, People Management, Strategy, Personal and Career Development, Customer Relations, Organisational Performance and more.
- Borrow online or in-person from over 7,000 current and classic books and other resources.
- Access our 3000+ online journal and magazine titles 24/7
- Use our customisable ‘current awareness alerts’ for news and magazine articles
- Read, work and meet at our Business Lounge
- Consult our librarian and business books experts for your information needs
Books and ebooks
Books and ebooks by experts writing from experience with practical advice, suggestions and guidance relating to your career, managing people, your customers, your business and leading your organisation.
No time to read? Select from a wide selection of audio books covering business and management issues, motivational material, biography, the gurus and news.
Journals and magazines
Find business, management and news in print in the library with an emphasis on Australian material. Soft copies of articles available on request by phone or email.
Online access to over 3500 Australian and international journals and magazines from databases Business Source Corporate and Australia and New Zealand Reference Center from EBSCO and Emerald Management First.
- Renowned publications like Harvard Business Review and McKinsey Quarterly
- Interviews with management experts
- Case studies
- Briefing packs
- Customisable current awareness alerts
Training and Support
Training and support is available to Members. We have extensive experience in finding information suitable to your business, management and career requirements. Training in the use of our online library is available by phone or in-person and is offered in conjunction with our Member events held at North Sydney.
Current Awareness Service
Search and save articles using your personal profile and stay up-to-date using alerts that match your interests. Contact the library to learn how to set this up.
Too busy to search for information? Members can contact the library for free help in finding relevant material from our resources. A fee-based service is also available for in-depth research. The hourly rate is $80 + GST for AIM Members and $120 + GST for non-members.
We deliver! Items in the library can be delivered ($10 fee applies to the Sydney metro area). For NSW Regional and ACT members delivery is free.
The library offers a reservation service where a resource is not immediately available. We welcome suggestions from Members for new books and other items for purchase by the library. Inter-library loan is available for a small fee for books and articles we do not hold in our collection.
The Business Lounge is a relaxed, comfortable environment for informal meetings, reading and working. State-of-the-art computers are available for Members and visitors, as well as study areas, Wi-Fi, internet access, TV and coffee machine. Mary Lou Merven, our Business Librarian is on hand for research assistance and support in using resources.
Training in using our electronic resources is available during opening hours and in conjunction with AIM Events held at North Sydney.
Mary Lou Merven
Australian Institute of Management NSW & ACT
215 Pacific Highway
North Sydney NSW 2060
PO Box 328 North Sydney 2059
d +61 2 9956 3034
f +61 2 9956 5613
Hours of opening
Monday – Thursday
8am - 6pm
8am – 5pm
Late in conjunction with Events
Available now from the AIM Library
Loans to Members available using our postal service to borrow and return items.
Best practices. Managing people : secrets to leading for new managers
Silverstein, Barry; 2007, Collins, New York.
- In today's hypercompetitive business climate, managers who help employees achieve their individual potential stand to get—and stay—ahead. Managing People, a comprehensive and essential resource for any manager on the run, shows you how. Learn to delegate, motivate, establish effective teams, manage multiple projects and inspire trust in times of change.
What to do when you become the boss : how new managers become successful managers
Selden, Bob. 2010; Hachette, Sydney.
- This book fills the “people management” learning gap for new managers. Here is your complete “How to” for both managing and leading. Learn how to best manage your boss, your people and yourself in the all important first management role. The book covers hiring, motivating, delegating, influencing, managing time, firing – in fact everything you will need to know and learn about leading and managing.
The first 90 days : critical success strategies for new leaders at all levels
Watkins, Michael, 2003, Harvard Business School Press, Boston.
- A classic read for new managers. The First 90 Days is a short, concise, hands-on manual for managers at all levels including lots of practical tools and questions for self-assessment , written in a friendly and accessible tone.
Being the boss : the 3 imperatives for becoming a great leader
Hill, Linda A. Lineback, L. Kent; 2011, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston.
- Being the Boss is an indispensable guide for first-time and experienced managers. Master three imperatives: (1) Manage yourself (2) Manage a network (3) Manage a team: Forge a high-performing "we" out of all the "I"s who report to you.
Fast track to success : managing people & performance
Ross, David, 2010, Financial Times Prentice Hall, New York.
- Everything you need to accelerate your career - A complete resource to show you how to get ahead as a manager using your people management skills, bringing together the latest business thinking, practical techniques and cutting edge online material.
What's holding you back? : ten bold steps that define gutsy leaders
Herbold, Robert J., 2011, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Are you hiding from tough decisions? Do you want to learn to confront them head-on? Why do managers at all levels sacrifice corporate success by shying away from making the tough decisions? What's Holding You Back’ reveals exactly why managers often hesitate to confront difficult issues.
The Library has a new and improved search tool called Discovery. Discovery is a fast, simple way to access the entire AIM library collection of online and print resources.
Using Discovery you can search our collection of more than 5000 up-to-date books, audio books and eBooks, and 3500 Australian and international business magazine online subscriptions including Harvard Business Review and McKinsey Quarterly.
The new Discovery search tool is a familiar Google-like search that yields electronic full text and print availability all at your desktop.
It’s simple, fast and easy to use.
If you are a member please login to use Discovery with full access. Non-members can search but will need to join AIM to access books and full-text articles.